Significant recovery from Panic Attacks occurs when you:
- learn to accurately re-interpret your bodily sensations
- apply variety of coping techniques when you begin to feel Panic-like symptoms
- controlled breathing
- focused breathing
- brown bag technique
- de-catastrophizing of symptoms
The Re-Learning Process
- Identify the feelings, body sensations, thoughts, and images that occur during a panic attack.
- Identify the terrifying thoughts/beliefs you have about panic attacks.
- Become educated about the nature of your panic symptoms so that you can learn to more accurately interpret your bodily sensations.
- Learn coping techniques (e.g., controlled breathing, distraction) that will reduce your symptoms to a more manageable level.
- Conduct experiments that test out the validity of your frightening thoughts and beliefs (e.g. using the Weekly Panic Log)